The brain is a powerful tool. Consider it to be like a muscle that can be trained and strengthened. The difficult part comes in knowing exactly how to train your brain.
Here are some tips to keep your brain in shape:
- Keep your brain healthy and active by exercising it with problem-solving puzzles and as much mental stimulation as possible. Don't overdo it though, the brain also needs time to relax.
- Maintain healthy nutrition. Include omegas by including lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, tuna, salmon, walnuts and olive oil in your eating plan.
- Exercise regularly by going for a walk or doing some light yoga daily. Consider this as your brain's time to unwind.
- Avoid toxins: in your food, in the water you drink, in the air around you, and in your environment.
- Always be wary of possible head injuries, and as far as possible, prevent brain trauma by always wearing a helmet when engaging in dangerous activities.
- Avoid or reduce the risk factors that increase strokes. For example, maintain healthy blood pressure, cholesterol levels and avoid smoking or inhaling second-hand smoke.
- As we age, continue to exercise the brain with reading, crosswords and keeping up-to-date with current affairs.